Friday, August 19, 2016

Homemade Electric Longboard



This is my electric longboard I built. It has a carbon fiber board that I designed and made.
Top speed: 18 mph Range: ~ 5 miles

Electronics, drivetrain, and other accessories: The board has two 5000mah 3s lipo batteries, one 149kv Turnigy brushless motor, and a Hobbyking X-Car Beast 150 amp electronic speed controller. The gear ratio is 15 to 32 to a 80 mm wheel. The motor is connected to the trucks (cheap amazon trucks: SCSK8 longboard trucks and wheels- Don't buy these though, invest in better trucks) with 2 parts I CNC'd that allow the belt to be tensioned with a wide range of variations in belt and pulley sizes. The transmitter I use now is a Cool RC 2.4 Ghz Transmitter, although I wouldn't recommend it since it is very clunky and eats through batteries like its nobody's business. The batteries and ESC are protected from water and dust with 3d printed parts I printed on a MakerBot.

Carbon Fiber Board: The foam core was cut on a CNC using the hsm express slicer. The piece of wood that fits inside is half inch 3 ply plywood that I laser cut. The point of the plywood was to make certain that the board would hold my full weight, and allow for hard points in board (Note: the wood is is far from being able to hold my weight alone). I then laid one layer of bidirectional carbon fiber on either side and wrapped it around the sides. I spread epoxy resin on it and then vacuum sealed it until the epoxy hardened.

Software: The longboard was completely designed before built using OnShape, a free online CAD modeling software that I find better than either Inventor and Solidworks. To generate the g-code, I used V-Carve Pro for the motor mount and HSM express on Inventor for the foam core of the board.

Machines: I used the machines provided by my high school. The CNC was a Tormach PCNC 1100. The laser cutter was a boss laser LS-3650.


3 comments:

  1. Love it! This is awesome. And great music to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this day is too much good for me, since this time I am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. Thanks a lot for massive hard work. https://longboardbrand.com/caster-board/

    ReplyDelete